Know Your Rights

Your Right To Be Represented

The Association is the exclusive representative for the teachers, counselors, nurses, psychologists, adapted p.e., and language/ speech specialists in our District and therefore the only employee organization authorized to represent individual members in certain situations.

What are those situations in which you may want or need representation?

You have the right to be represented by the Association when:

  • An administrator calls a conference with you and you have reason to believe that you will be subjected to reprimand or disciplinary action.
  • You receive an unsatisfactory evaluation rating.
  • You have a grievance. You are entitled to Association representation at every step of the grievance process, including the informal conference. The earlier you get help the more effective it may be.
  • A meeting has been arranged to resolve a complaint about you – if the complainant is someone other than your designated evaluator, and an administrator is to present.
  • Important Note:

    An employee always has the right to halt any conference already in progress with any administrator if the conference becomes disciplinary in nature, and may demand postponement for a reasonable amount of time to obtain representation. If you need to be represented, contact your Association Faculty Rep or Association Grievance Rep or call the Association office.

In Time of Need, What To Do If…

You wish to report a violation of the contract:

Contact your Grievance Rep or the Chair of the PR&R Committee.

You wish to recommend policy positions for APT to take on political candidates, educational, legislative, or bargaining issues:

Contact your APT Faculty Rep, Committee Chairperson, CTA State Council Rep, or APT Board of Directors Member.

You need legal assistance:

Call the APT office.

You wish to contact a State Senator or Assembly Member:
– go to “Find My District” on the home page and enter your zip code

You wish to contact a U.S. Senator or Representative in Congress:
– go to “My Elected Officials” on the home page
– enter your zip code